Reviews & Reports
History and impact of the Johns Hopkins Center
The Johns Hopkins University Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing was established in 1981. Dr. Andrew Rowan, who has been a member of the Center’s Advisory Board since it was established, spoke about the impact of the Center.
Edith Hall Book Review :
Review of Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life
Edith Hall, Penguin Press, 2019
by Bernard E. Rollin, University Distinguished Professor, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado.
It is easy to believe that what we imprecisely call “human nature” has not greatly changed since the time of Aristotle. When we combine this fact with his commonsense approach, it is easy to see how and why Dr. Hall chose this project. The most impressive part of her book is the degree to which she makes Aristotelian ideas come alive for today’s citizens.
Book Review by Debra Firmani | Love Can Be: A Literary Collection About Our Animals :
If you share your life with a companion animal, or ever have – or if you simply love animals – Love Can Be: A Literary Collection About Our Animals will resonate with you. Thirty gifted and award-winning authors share stirring and memorable proof of what love can be through essays and poems about experiences or insights their companion animals or encounters with wild animals have given them.
References by Focus Areas
References by Focus Areas
- Canada Well-being Index – Canada is one of the countries that has recently begun to measure the well-being of their citizens. This website has links (see bottom of the page) to Well-being initiatives around the world (e.g. Australia, Germany, New Zealand, the UK, Bhutan and Israel).
- UNDP on Well-being – A 36-page report (2016) by Paul Anand on well-being.
- Oxford Poverty & Human Development Initiative (OPHI) – a 2013 paper on well-being, happiness and public policy by Sabina Alkire.
Environmental Sustainability & Humane Education
- World Animal Net – The site has much useful information however, the Humane Education resource is specifically recommended.
- The Link Coalition – Contains an extensive set of materials on the links between human and animal abuse.
- Animal Sentience – New journal (launched in 2016) featuring academic articles and open peer commentary on the topics of animal sentience and well-being.
Plastics & Oceans
- Our World in Data – An excellent overview of the Ocean Plastics issue (Sep 2018) with many interactive charts.
- Wild Neighbors – A textbook and guide (2007) to leaving harmoniously with North American wildlife (edited by John Hadidian and colleagues).
- The Ethics of Wildlife Control (2006) – a paper by John Hadidian, Camilla Fox and William Lynn.
- Oxford University, Worcester College, WildCRU Conservation Geopolitics Forum, a ground-breaking conference on global trends and wildlife.
- 3rd International Dog Population Management Conference, Kenya: International Coalition for Companion Animal Management (final dates to be announced – check the ICAMwebsite).